Searching the widow’s cellar for demons soon revealed a network of ancient passageways, recently excavated and still being uncovered. The passages are connected to several cellars, and upon looking into one of the other cellars, the group noticed a pair of masked men digging a hole to bury a large cloth bundle.
When Ka-Haseid snuck in and grappled one of the suspicious figures, the other attempted to flee, but was killed by a well-placed punch from Biff. The captured man was interrogated, but was only able to say that he was ordered to bury the bundle, revealed to be a body, by his superior in The Veiled Society, a crime syndicate of unknown leadership.
Emerging from the cellar, the group found themselves in what appeared to be the scene of the murder, a high-class home with bloodstains on the floor of the front room. The guards arrived and brought the group in for questioning, but they were able to convince the tribunal of their innocence…with the exception of Biff, whose fate is still under consideration due to his confessed role in the Veiled Society member’s death. All four of them were asked, as witnesses to the crime, to assist the assigned tribune with the investigation.
The murdered woman is Tania Nassor, daughter of Teremun Nassor and neice of Bey Nassor, leader of the Nassor family faction.
Upon returning to the scene, the following clues were uncovered:
- A bloodstain on the floor of the front room of the home, with what appears to be the beginning of a message crudely written in it: FAD…FAR…TAR…TAO…the letters are unclear
- A dagger near the bloodstain, crusted with dried blood and a few strands of red hair
- Drops of a brownish liquid amid the bloodstains, which when tasted seems to be a particularly strong wine
- Broken vases, dishes, and furniture; signs of a struggle
- Tania Nassor’s body: rope marks on her neck, no other injuries; dried blood and red hair under her fingernails; barefoot and dressed in a fine house-robe
- Signet ring near the cellar entrance, with the emblem of the Usaphaidos family (downward scarab over a hill)
- Traces of pitch on the cellar ladder and cellar exit
- Bloodstained hemp rope, found near the cellar entrance